American Corner Coordinator
AMIDEAST Tunisia hosts American Corners in Tunis and Sousse which are part of the U.S. Department of State’s American Spaces Program. The American Corner is a binational center co-sponsored by AMIDEAST and the U.S. Embassy. The American Corners serve as English language libraries and cultural centers designed for sharing information about the United States, promoting foreign exchange programs and American higher education, improving English language fluency and organizing cultural activities and events. In Tunis, the Corner it is also intended to serve both the American Spaces program and EducationUSA advising purposes.
The Coordinator’s primary role is to oversee all library operations, plan and host a wide variety of free, engaging cultural programs, and work closely with AMIDEAST staff to provide accurate information for Tunisians seeking educational opportunities in the United States. The American Corner coordinator also serves as an ambassador of US culture and AMIDEAST’s mission in Tunisia. The applicant should be well-informed on American history, politics, society, and literature in order to share diverse themes with the Tunisian public through daily cultural activities aimed at helping patrons improve their English through content-based educational events. The nature of the position is well suited to someone with experience in event planning, customer service, tutoring/teaching, and management/administration.
- Plan and host weekly activities: Free English conversation hours, guest speakers, workshops, presentations, free film screenings, etc.
- Facilitate American Corner clubs
- Promote American Corner events and programs
- Maintain American Corner website and Facebook page
- Set and implement AC guidelines in order to maintain structure of educational and cultural space
- Update the U.S. Embassy/AMIDEAST administration on weekly events and write reports detailing those activities and events
- Attend monthly meetings at the U.S. Embassy
- Provide monthly activity report for AMIDEAST & U.S. Embassy
- Assist and cooperate with the Advising Department on outreach activities
- Assist the EducationUSA Adviser holding special topic sessions related to studying in the US in the American Corner/ EducationUSA library (occasionally). This may also include:
§ Assist Competitive College Club members with essay editing and application assistance
§ Explain college and graduate school application processes to different visitors
§ Discuss scholarship and fellowship opportunities with prospective applicants
- Coordinate with the US Embassy American Center Director regarding hosting special events and coordinating outreach.
- Manage the physical space of the AC ensuring that it is clean, professional and well-organized.
- Track use of all equipment and AC assets ensuring proper use, maintenance and accountability.
- Produce AC membership badges and manage the flow of patrons effectively and ensuring safety and security standards are adhered to.
- Maintain basic library functions: checking books/DVDs in and out, processing new materials, shelving returned materials, processing new memberships
- Maintain a balanced environment of a study, reading, and socializing space
- Help patrons with research, including helping them find quality resources
- Facilitate cultural understanding
- Proof–read documents for patrons
Qualifications and Experience
- American citizenship preferred (significant experience living in the US will be considered)
- Bachelor’s degree from a US university is a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated interest in international education and cross-cultural exchange
- Demonstrated interest in working/living in the MENA region
- Experience working in a customer service context
- Experience with event-planning and managing educational programs
- French and/or Arabic proficiency is preferred